vcswatch scans the Vcs-* fields in Debian source packages and reports about changes that have not yet been uploaded.
- OK: Version in debian/changelog in the VCS checkout matches the package version in Debian.
- NEW: Version in debian/changelog is ahead of the version in Debian. Eventually, this package will need an upload.
- OLD: Version in debian/changelog is behind the version in Debian. The last commits were not yet pushed to the repository, or the repository was abandoned, but the Vcs-* field in the package still points to the repository. In the case of Git repositories served by http, a common error cause is that "git update-server-info" was not run from .git/hooks/post-update.
- UNREL: Version in debian/changelog matches the package version in Debian, but the distribution field in the changelog is still "UNRELEASED". This means the last release commit was not yet pushed to the repository.
- ERROR: There was a problem reading from the repository, or debian/changelog was not found in the checkout, or the changelog is invalid.
vcswatch uses the Vcs-* URLs from the Sources files in unstable and experimental (prefering the newest version available). A few tweaks are applied, though; most notably Alioth URLs on git/svn/...debian.org are rewritten to anonscm.debian.org, and a warning is issued.